Tuesday, May 19, 2009

weight loss and dementia

Eat for the health of it.

On the news tonight they were talking about people that were dieting seriously and for older people that really isn't too good because as we age we need more nourishment. Extreme dieting with older people, they believe that it can cause alzheimers and dementia. I felt that for some time now because I know some women right now that are going through this, one of them is already in a nursing home and a second one is about to be admited there, and a third friend of mine, I noticed this past winter that she was having difficulty playing a card game that we have played together over the years and she just could not grasp onto this. I am so afraid that she has the start of alzheimers.

What I noticed is that each of these women have lost a lot of weight; they dieted on purpose. Two of them belonged to weight loss clubs and they were in competition to be the queen. I know the one did get the queen spot and I think the other was a runnerup. I feel that being in competition like this you might be more enticed to starve yourself or eat something with very few calories or nourishment. When you are older, I feel it is necessary to eat a more balanced food, something to give you more strength and energy. They need food to nourish the brain not take it away. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if these women actually ate then force vomitting just to keep their weight down, so they could be queen.

On the same token, chidren are committing suicide, because they are over weight. It's no wonder that they gain weight when they drink all this soda that is sweetened with High Fructose Corn Syrup. It's not only fattening but it's harmful. I have read articles that states that this HFCS causes diabetes, and it causes damage to the kidneys. Even the diet soda, with Aspartame in it, is bad because it causes all sorts of reactions like hives and rashes and it is thought to cause alzheimers and dementia, another negative for older people. And what I have read on Aspartame, it is supposed to help you lose weight but instead it causes you to crave sweets then you gain weight. The health food stores have soda that is sweetened with cane sugar and is all natural. I am sad to say that they have not allowed any all natural sweetener, like Stevia, to be used to sweeten anything yet. You can buy Stevia,in the health food store, which is an all natural calorie free sweetener. I did buy some recently in the grocery store. Be sure it is Stevia because there are others that are close to that spelling. Concentrate on using all natural ingredients to stay the healthiest.

Laughter is healthy: The power of the federal badge... A DEA Officer stops at a ranch in Montana and talks with an old rancher. He tells the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegal drugs."

The rancher says, Okay, but do not go in that field over there," as he points to the spot.
The DEA officer explodes saying, "Mister, I have the authority of the Federal Government with me." Upon reaching in his rear pocket and flashing a badge to the farmer. "See this badge? This badge means that I am allowed to go wherever I wish...on any land. No questions asked or answers given. Have I made myself clear? Do you understand?"

The old rancher nods politely and apologizes and goes about his chores.

A short time later, the old man hears a loud scream and sees the DEA officer running for his life, chased close behind by the ranchers prize bull. With every step, the bull is gaining ground on the officer,and it seems likely that he'll get "horned" before he reaches safety. The officer is clearly terrified.

The old rancher throws down his tools, runs to the fence and yells to the top of his lungs, "Your badge...Show him your badge."

Thank you for following my Blog. http://grannycooks.blogspot.com

If you are interested in my all natural cookbook GRANDMA'S BACK TO BASICS ALL NATURAL MORE THAN JUST A COOKBOOK ISBN# 0-8059-6286-7 you can order it at:
www.dorrancepublishing.com or by phone at: 1-800-788-7654

No comments: