Sunday, May 24, 2009

Not enough vitamin-D

Eat for the health of it.

Do you really think the sun is bad for you? Vitamin-D plays an important part in protecting women against breast cancer and it has been proven to relieve pain in bones and loints. I know this to be true because 25 years ago, I was in a bad auto accident, I broke my back, ruptured four disks in my neck and I have a badly bulging disc in my lower back. Now, talk about pain, I have been through a lot of that, but one thing thst really makes me feel good is being in the sunshine. I do not get burnt, I use only natural oils and skin lotions.I do not use any of the sunblocks because: not only am I allergic to them but I have read many articles on sunblocks that lotions with sunblock can cause skin cancer.

I know what you are thinking; that a child needs sunblock and I suppose it won't hurt if you do not lather him/her up every time they go outside. I think the best solution is to keep the child in the shade; they don't have to be right out in the sun. Most children are outside a lot, early in the spring and they build a natural protection on their skin so they won't burn, and then as the season matures and their skin toughens and adjusts, they won't have a problem. If they are not an outside player then you may have to use a sunblock but don't over due it by lathering them every half hour. More then likely a child that does not like the outside will not play in the sun anyway. Let him play in the shade and only encourage them to go in the sun for a very short time and they will adjust to the sun slowly.

You need vitamin-D, especially when you get older and the bones get brittle, and then older people fall easily, and if they do not have enough vitamin-D to strengthen their bones, they break something and it is usually their hip.

Yes, you can get too much sun; I have seen many people that come to Florida that end up as red as the Lobster at a cookout. Mostly they are kids on spring break and they are only there for a week and they want to make sure they have a nice tan to show off when they get home, but instead they end up going home with their skin peeling off and they are all scarred from deep burns. In a case like this I would encourage using sunscreen or limiting your time in the sun; do it gradually. I have seen people lathering their child every few minutes; if he is that sensitive keep him in the shade.

When I was younger I worked in the field and I would wear a light weight shirt and I would remove it periodically and let the sun warm my skin and when it got hot I would put it back on so I wouldn't get burnt or I would get out of the sun until it cooled later in the day. Yes, I wore a sun halter under my shirt.

They say that the sun causes cancer but I don't recall anyone ever having cancer when I was a child. I remember that the doctor told my mother that she had to sit in the sun every day, because she was anemic. Even as I got older, I still did not know anyone with cancer. Maybe when I was about thirty, my father-in-law had a lip cancer, that they said was from his smoking. Then a few years later my father was diagnosed with cancer, I was devistated because I thought we would all have cancer and die. I had mixed feelings when they told him he probably contracted the cancer from the chemicals that he worked with at the water treatment plant. I felt bad because I was going to lose my dad but at the same time I wouldn't have to worry that my whole family may get it too.

To me it only shows that, if you get too much of anything, it can be bad for you. If you get too much sun, (you get burnt), too much fiber can cause bowel irritation, too much iron can be linked to diabetes, cancer and heart disease, too much soy can pump full of estrogen, which inturn can depress your thyroid. Too many carbs, like sugary and starchy foods, you will probably get fat.

If you are interested in eating all natural foods, please check out my all natural cookbook, GRANDMA'S BACK TO BASICS ALL NATURAL MORE THAN JUST A COOKBOOK
ISBN# 0-8059-6286-7 or order at www.dorrancepublishing.com or phone 1-800-788-7654

Laughter is healthy:

Man says: My wife and I had words, but I didn't get to use mine.

Wife says: God made man before woman so as to give him time to think of an answer for her first question.

No comments: