Tuesday, May 5, 2009

All about monosodium glutamate

Monosodium Glutamate

As I talked to people about MSG, the first question I got was, "What is MSG?" I explained to them that Monosodium Glutamate, MSG, is a chemical that is added to our food as a flavor enhancer. IT hides under many names such as, Hydrolyzed Vegetable and Plant Protein Extract, Sodium and Calcium Casienate, Yeast Extract, Textured Protein, Audolyzed Yeast. And MSG may appear in Malt Extract and Flavoring, Boullion, Broth or Stock and it may even appear in Flavorings listed as All-Natural. This really irritates me because you think that it is safe to eat when it says All Natural, and then when you eat it and you break out, you check the label again and it says that it contains MSG. Then it isn't all natural, is it? How can they get away with false advertisement? Making people sick that are allergic to this crap? It just is not right. For this to happen means that the food industry is guilty of hiding and diguising MSG in these foods.

Do you know that MSG, Monosodium Glutamate, is hydrolyzed with Hydrochloric Acid? Hydrochloric Acid is a very highly corrosive acid. The Steel Mills use Hydrochloric Acid to dip the steel into to remove the rust. Understand this, Glutamic Acid, is in food naturally but when it is processed or hydrolyzed, that is when it becomes Free Glutamic Acid, MSG. You should stay away from any hydrolyzed foods.

I think that most people do react to MSG but often do not realize that their swollen ankles, fingers and around the eyes could really be from consuming foods that contain MSG. I had this problem for some time, then when I had to stay away from MSG I noticed that my ankles didn't swell as much then I learned all about Sea salt and how it was much better for you then regular table salt that it contains a chemical to keep it from caking. Now my ankles mostly stay down to normal unless I happen to eat out a lot where they do not use sea salt. Also, most canned soups and gravies contain MSG, even if the label does not list MSG, it still might have it in there. I was getting ill when I ate the soup in one restaurant and I asked if they used it and they answered, "no", but when it happed again I asked to see the label and they were right it did not list it, then I found out that if it was not at least 5% of the product, they did not have to list it. That is crazy, because I got sick and I could have died if my throat had closed from it. I actually found out more about this at an Amish restaurant when one of the waitresses told me that the chemical had to be more than 5% of the product or they did not list it.

Another place they use MSG is in low fat hamburger, because by removing the fat it takes the flavor away so they put the flavor enhancer, MSG, into the defatted hamburg to make it taste good.

Another thing to be aware of is so called, "ALL Natural" beef and chicken flavoring. I buy it because it is easy to use if and when I need a little extra flavor. Make sure it says on the label that it does not contain MSG.

Please follow my BLOG.

Laughter is healthy: Why do they put pictures of criminal in the post office? Are we supposed to write them? They should put their pictures on the stamps so the mailman can look them up when he delivers the mail.

If you like what you have read so far and would like to order a copy of my all natural cookbook,
GRANDMA'S BACK TO BASICS ALL NATURAL MORE THAN JUST A COOKBOOK ISBN#0-8059-6286-7
OR EMAIL WWW.DORRANCEPUBLISHING.COM OR PHONE 1-800-788-7654

No comments: