Saturday, March 20, 2010

An ounce of prevention

Eat for the health of it.

Did you ever have swimmers ear or a plain old earache from swimming in the lake or a farm pond, or other untreated swimming hole? The best thing to do is prepare yourself for this occasion by taking a mixture of 2 drops of vinegar and 2 drops of rubbing alcohol and when you get finished swimming place the drops in your ears, this should prevent infection.

If you do get ear infections often, ask your pharmacist to mix up a batch of 3 percent boric acid and 70 percent alcohol solution. The boric acid will acidify the ear canal, keeping away any bacteria or fungal invaders and the alcohol will keep it dry. Squeeze a few drops in the ears every day.

If you have trouble with your ears popping or becoming painful while flying; I usually chew gum but when you land and you still have the pain, I have heard that warming an onion or a potato in the microwave or in water on the stove, then place it in a clean sock or cloth and tie a string around it and hold it to your sore ear. (Make sure it isn't too hot on the skin).

I recall as a child my mother used sweet oil in our ears. We never went to the doctor unless we were half dead or bleeding profusely. You can buy sweet oil or make your own by mixing equal parts of olive oil with other oils like lavender. You could check the health food store in your area.

I had an earache from hell this past fall and I went to my doctor and she prescribed a Z-PAC and it helped for awhile but my sinuses and ears were plugged for a long time until a friend told me about a NETI POT, that is the answer to sinus infections, believe me. I found this NETI POT at the health food store and I filled it with warm water and a pinch of sea salt, and while standing over the sink I poured it in one nostril and saying K-K-K, it came out the other nostril, then repeat on the other side. Believe me it really works. You may have to do this several times. I did it every day for a few weeks and then I do it now and then for assurance. I never want to have another sinus infection like I had.

Another thing to try is dropping some eucalyptus oil (ten drops) in some boiling water and breathing it in. (Don't get too close or you will get burned from the steam.)You may want to drape a towel over your head to help capture the steam.

Another thing you can try is pressing a globe of garlic and mix it with olive oil and let it stand over night, strain, then use the cleared oil (warmed a bit) in the sore ear.

Let me tell you, I tried everything. Both of my ears were filled with pus and they drained. I thought I would never get my hearing back, but I did.

I seldom get sick, but I think a lot of it was from my fall and hurting my neck, preassure on the spinal cord and that is all in that area, I may never know for sure.

I try eating garlic and fresh fruits and vegetables and unprocessed foods. Eating all natural is the best for you no matter what.

Please try my all natural cookbook, GRANDMA'S BACK TO BASICS ALL NATURAL MORE THAN JUST A COOKBOOK ISBN#0-8059-6286-7 by Teresa Thompson, available at: www.dorrancepublishing.com or call: 1-800-788-7654 or order at: Amazonbooks.com

I would also like to recommend a very good novel,'Under Obligation' ISBN# 1-58736-601-0 by Trishianna Rose Roberts, available at: www.wheatmark.com or at: Abebooks.com or at: Amazonbooks.com.

Laughter is healthy: A true Michigander
1.You measure distance in hours.
2.You know several people who have hit a deer.
3.You drive 65 miles an hour through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard.
4.You carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend knows how to use them.
5.You switch from heat to "A/C" in the same day.

No comments: